Immigration Law

Family Based Immigration and Others

Permanent Residence - Green Card

There are five ways in which a person can become a permanent resident: family, employment, investment, asylum, and other.

Family – If you have family currently residing within the United States, such family member can request that you be granted permanent residence. Typically this process will require both proof that a family member is in the country and his or her status (i.e., citizen by birth, green card, etc.).

Employment – A common way to get a green card is if you already have employment or a job waiting for you in the United States. By proving that you will work within the country, pay taxes, and live in the country as a resident, you’re more likely to be granted a green card than a person who doesn’t have means for employment at the time they apply.

Investment – By investing either $500,000 or $1,000,000 in a U.S. business enterprise and either directly or indirectly hiring or retaining 10 full time employees you, your spouse, and your children who are unmarried and are under the age of 21 can obtain a U.S. green card.

Asylum - A person can apply for permanent status one year after he is granted asylum

Other – Even if you don’t qualify for the other four methods, our attorneys can look for tactics to grant you citizenship or permanent residence status by a different method.

Depending on your current immigration status, different documents maybe required when you apply for a green card in the United States. Generally, you will need to submit the following documents:

• birth and/or marriage certificate;

• financial documents; and/or

• if sponsored by a citizen or permanent resident, proof of sponsor’s citizenship or LPR status.

You may also be required additional proof that you entered the United States lawfully, military records, or criminal records where applicable.

An important factor, discussed in our “waivers” page, is that if you came into the United States illegally, you have to request, along with the green card, a waiver. Once the waiver is granted, you have to go back to your country of origin and come back into the United States legally. The waiver is requested and approved here in the United States before you go back to your country to minimize your stay in your country to no more than 2-4 weeks.